Redirection

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Interior Decoration And Crafts Magazines: August 2013

As usual, I brought home some nice magazines from our vacation:

Rezepte Pur, Laura Wohnen and Wohnen & Garten.

Rezepte Pur has some really good recipes this time, I tried several of them and all came out fine. Laura Wohnen besides discussing new trends in interior decoration and home makeover articles, had also a story about a Dutch family with three children and the house they built, and several interesting crafts projects, some of which use cyanotype, a process discovered by Sir John Herschel in 1842 (who said that magazines for housewives can't be intellectual ???). Funny enough, though it was a man who made this discovery, a Wiki article on cyanotype informs us that he was not at all important, since after Sir John already discovered the process, some lady photographer used it in her work, so that we really should  give credit to her and not him.

Wohnen & Garten had an article about a lady who took up gardening as a hobby and through many trials and errors created her own style (gardening is something more women used to do when their kids got older, instead of rushing back to work as it usually happens now); and also one about an aristocratic German family  and the way they decorated their new house. This one gave me a Hyacinth moment (the one from Keeping Up Appearances, that is). The German aristocrats and I are reading the same magazines!!!:)
The photography was great, as usual, there were some nice recipes and an article about Claude Monet.

Since I finished my last craft project a week ago, I decided it was time to start another one, and bought some wool today. This is the new tunic I'm going to knit:

The pattern is from a 2010 Verena magazine. I also decided to knit something for my dear husband, so that he doesn't feel himself left out, and found this great sweater (also pay attention to the autumn trends, long skirts still seem to be in, which is good since I recently bought one, much to the displeasure of my husband, who really dislikes what he calls "garments" (usually any skirt or dress that goes far below the knee):


He'll have to wait first, though, as I'm afraid knitting the tunic will take me a long time. We'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment